WordPress 5.2 introduced a new type of protection for sites which are crashing due to bad or invalid code. In previous versions the same errors would likely have resulted in a white screen of death or a 500 internal server error.
If your site crashes then the “The site is experiencing technical difficulties” message is likely presented when you try to access it. An email should be sent to the site admin with instructions on how to log in and deactivate the plugin or theme causing problems. This might not be enough in some cases though, if you are still having problems after doing what WordPress is suggesting, then you can try the suggestions below.— — —
Possible fixes for the “The site is experiencing technical difficulties” WordPress error message
- Upgrade your PHP version to 7.0 or higher
- Increase the memory allocated to PHP
- Disable all plugins
- Through the WordPress backend if you can access it
- By renaming the plugin folder via FTP
- Enable debug mode in WordPress to look for error messages
define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );in your wp-config.php file
Are you still having problems?